Saturday, October 9, 2010

My first touch-rug match and rainbow xlbs

Last week, I watched my first touch rugby match in school... and the second one this Monday. NTU was up against NUS and Jol B was playing in the team so we decided to head down to lend some support and show some love, despite knowing nearly nothing about the sport. NTU players are in blue, and NUS ones are in orange.

Spectators in action:

i can't help but think bout what you said about your eyeliner in the morning lol

And the touch rug girls in action:




I really should have brought out my zoom lens, but I didn't... so that explains the tiny-ness of the people in all the above pictures.

And here's us again, while waiting for Jolb to get back to the grandstand.

Star-girl:

Maths majors and current roomies:

We are awesome yay.

I'm really still quite clueless about the game though :x

And... I met up with Siaos for dinner on Wednesday. As friends who love all things colourful, we knew we had to try the rainbow xiao long baos that we've been seeing in advertisements from all over, together! So, we headed down to Paradise Dynasty at Ion Orchard (4th level) after her lessons've finally ended for the day.


White - Original; average, nothing mind-blowing. It was the only flavour that needs to be dipped in the vinegar and eaten with the shredded ginger.
Green - Ginseng; there was the subtle taste of ginseng that I thought complemented the broth rather well. Slightly more 'soupy' than the other flavours.
Light Grey - Garlic; an extra garlicky taste in the usual broth. Added a little 蒜茸香to the otherwise normal-tasting broth in the little buns.
Orange - Crab roe; strong taste of crab roe, not really for people who don't like seafood-related food I guess. I'll gladly help you eat yours if you're not a seafood person :p
Beige - Foie gras; a little oilier than the others, but no less yummy. I can't really remember what foie gras tastes like, but this adds a nice little oopmh to the broth too. I think this is Siao's favourite of the night.
Pink - Szechuan; a.k.a. don't be fooled by the harmless appearance. This is one little spicy bun!
Yellow - Cheese; what I thought was the weirdest flavour of all, but still worth a try!
Dark grey (middle) - Black truffle; mmm.. mushroomy?

I think it's a great idea that they're coming up with all these new and exciting flavours and changing the idea that things should always remain the same; if you can't beat the longtimers (i.e. Ding Tai Feng & Crystal Jade) in terms of taste, you can at least try to entice customers with greater variety and aesthetic appeal since we all love variety!

Other than the rainbow xlbs, we also ordered some side dishes; the bamboo shoots (because we both love shoots!), shredded potato and capsicum (nothing to shout about) and drunken chicken (ooooh the taste of alcohol was really strong). I thought the prices were fairly reasonable... or maybe just slightly more expensive than the usual xlb meals.

Anyway, I had a great time catching up with Siaos and listening to her talk about her current love interest from school! We've all been so busy with work/school recently that it's so hard to arrange for meet ups.

Just to end the post with, here's a picture of her eating as usual:

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...