Saturday, January 8, 2011

It's nearly a week since our arrival, and things are falling into place pretty nicely so far, if I may say so - the MTR lines don't seem as confusing now as they did a week ago, I've stopped taking my Octopus card (something like ezlink, but it can do so much more) out when we are alighting from buses now because we only have to tap once - when we board, I only take half the time to adjust the water temperature in the shower cubicle compared to my first shower in HK, layering is an effective way of keeping myself warm (ranges from slightly to much), the classrooms are not as difficult to locate as I'd expected it to be - NIE definitely feels much bigger than this campus here and the list goes on.

I'm probably finding it easy to cope (temperature and language issues aside) because things are really similar to back home; things work in the same ways though there are slight variations here and there. Oh, and things are also more technologically advanced here compared to Singapore.

I haven't really got much idea about what to talk about, so I'll just try to come up with 10 random things I've learnt about HK so far (from school buddies and KH, etc), or maybe just some realizations I've made hur:

1) The main language of communication is Cantonese; people do know how to speak English and Putonghua (what we know as Mandarin), but not all of them are very fluent in these two other languages because Cantonese has been the main language of instruction in schools.

2) Taxis here are colour-coded; red taxis run around the urban areas, green ones around New Territories (where my campus is!) and blue ones solely on Lantau Island. There are designated taxi-stands for the different types of taxis and all of them run on meters so there's really not much bargaining involved unless you're coming from the airport; I think each piece of luggage is chargeable or something. & I haven't seen any blue taxis, yet!

3) HK is a very mountainous place, and there are many areas that you can go for trekking, etc, so there are actually other things to do apart from shopping in this city.

4) I've heard this at least 3 times since we arrived: this is one country with two systems. Even after the return of HK to mainland China by the British, they maintain some of the old British legislative systems, and eh, take charge of their own domestic affairs (that's everything except for national defense and something else, wasn't paying too much attention in class today).

5) According to my tutor this morning, locals 'fight' actively for what they believe in here. There are protests and demonstrations whenever people feel a need to instill changes, maintain current practices, etc. Sounds really interesting and it's the exact opposite of Singapore, I wonder if I'll ever get to take part in one of these during my short stay here.

6) The bus/taxi drivers here don't really use their brakes, so far, almost every ride on a mini-bus here feels like a roller coaster ride; albeit the milder ones. At each bend, drivers seem to be stepping on the accelerator instead of the brakes. I am very thankful the contents of my stomach stayed within my tummy after the bus ride from Mongkok to Tai Po tonight.

7) You only tap once when you board a bus that uses the Octopus card, no need for a second time when you alight. 

8) It's easier to suffer from constipation in cold weather, it's true!

9) Alcohol's tax-free here, so drinks are (supposed to be) a lot cheaper here compared to back home.

10) There's yummy pork chops at the Ikea here!

Anyhow, KH brought me to have 煲仔飯 (claypot rice) at Temple Street last week. The queue was super long, but the food was really nice; it was my first time finishing my food in HK!






Yums!

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...