Thursday, September 22, 2011

5日台北游 - Danshui (淡水)

After relishing a good night's sleep at the hostel, I woke up much later on the second day (and subsequently too) than I'd expected - the rooms that I slept in during my trip to Taipei were without windows of any sort and that confused me a little when it was morning (aka time to wake up) because it was close to total darkness. 

And since goodness-knows-when, I've always perceived sunlight as a cue to wake up.
Hence, no sunlight = not waking up.

Anyhow...

I set out for Danshui (淡水) after washing up and it wasn't too difficult at all to get there by the MRT. 

#1 Ah gei (阿給) for lunch

#2 Ah gei eating place

For brunch, I had a serving of what Danshui is well-known for - Ah gei. The name sounded really interesting and to be honest, I had no idea what to expect when I placed my order. It turned out to be something like a tau pok that's stuffed with glass noodles served in some sweet and savory sauce; the combination of two things familiar in one 'package' made it feel like something new. 

Fisherman's Wharf (淡水漁人碼頭) was on the to-go list in this area so I tried to walk there after the quick brunch. Met a policeman on patrol along the way and he talked me out of it; said that it might be a better idea to catch a boat ride since it was quite a distance away. 

#3 Refreshing glass of grape drink while waiting for the boat's next departure

I have little recollection of what Fisherman's Wharf is famous for, other than Lovers' Bridge (情人桥), it being a small fishing port, or the famed spectacular sunsets (no such luck; look at how gloomy it was in the pictures below). 

#4 Lovers' Bridge (情人桥); it was drizzling heavily and I remember it being kinda cold back there. 

#5 Lovers' Bridge (情人桥)

The name got me really interested in it (gives me the impression that there's some romantic story behind it), so I googled that and... felt really disappointed when I found out they named the place Lovers' Bridge only because it was started on Valentine's Day in 2003. meh.

#6 Gloom

Didn't stay too long here and headed back to the main streets soon.

#7 Yummy quail eggs ()

#8 It was such a gloomy day, but these cheery flowers on the sidewalk had an instant brightening effect.

#9 Street of Danshui

Along the main streets of Danshui, there are endless numbers of shops selling handmade souvenirs and local snacks (felt like one in every five shops were selling Iron eggs, 鐵蛋). It does get repetitive after awhile, but that didn't really deter me from popping into every other shop along the stretch :x


No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...