Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ali Baba Eating House

Decided to head out for lunch with YF today; we'd (okay fine it was just me) decided on Swee Choon for dim sum initially but I realized that they are only opened from 6pm-10am daily after checking out their website and some online reviews so... change of plans and we ended up at this kopitiam along East Coast Road instead.

It was a very filling meal.

Mary Tau Kwa Pau (豆干包) - $4.80 for four large pieces of taupok topped with minced meat, chopped-up hard-boiled eggs, cucumbers, and everything unhealthy, drenched in a sweet-savoury sauce. I could eat the topping on its own!

Lechon Kawali from Adobo (Philippine cuisine!) - $4.50 for a plate of crispy roast pork rice. I didn't have the chance to try Lechon while we were in Boracay in August, but this was really good for its price; loved the crispy and fatty bits and it tasted quite good when dipped in the chili sauce from Mary's. 

Angel-hair pasta with tiny shrimps from Saveur ($3/4). It's supposed to be a starter but I thought the portion was generous to be considered a main. A simple (lightly salted), but satisfying pasta dish. 

Foie Gras from Saveur ($7.50 for a 30-gram cut). A rich (a little too rich, or maybe it was just the oil) and decadent piece of duck liver served on a bed of lentils, chopped onions and carrots. Maybe I'll order the 60-gram cut as my main the next time I come here for a meal again.

Chicken Roulade from Saveur ($8.90). I have tastebuds that favour stronger tastes and this turned out to be a little too bland for my liking; the chicken I meant. Butter rice was alright... just don't expect anything too mind-blowing.

Had a good time with YF chatting over lunch and I would love to come back again someday.


Anyway, you can check out Saveur's website here to see what else they have to offer and, their Facebook page too.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...