Monday, November 21, 2011

Like an auntie

I miss using Cantonese on a daily basis, however unproficient I may be.

So when I saw a cooking workshop that would be conducted in Cantonese while browsing through PA's website last month, I signed up for it almost immediately; after checking my availability - and ignoring that it'll be held 3 days prior to my last university exam.

There was much joy as I watched how steam escaped quickly and furiously from beneath the bobbing pot lids, smelled pungently aromatic whiffs of garlic and fermented beancurd paste that filled the room, and listened to the sounds of the knife on the chopping board. Hearing Cantonese phonemic syllables roll off the instructor's tongue was somehow comforting too, strangely enough.

It was more of a demonstration since the participants were only involved in the observing of processes (and not getting our hands dirty) and sampling of products at the end of the session. Here are the dishes that were cooked during the session:

#1 玉兰鸡; boiled boneless chicken with ham and kai lan.

#2 腩乳扣肉; pork belly and taro in fermented beancurd paste.

#3 粉葛排骨汤; pueraria with pork ribs and dried oysters.

#4 龙珠果花鸡汤; chicken breast with tofu, carrot and flower of dragon fruit.

I liked the chicken and pork-ribs soup best after trying morsels here and there; they reminded me strongly of grandma's cooking, from which my very first impressions of Cantonese cuisine came about.


Keeping fingers crossed that I'll get down to cooking some of these dishes for my family when the exam is over.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...