Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A moment to express gratitude

Had been feeling pretty off the entire day, no thanks to someone who'd made me doubt and question my stature as yet another insignificant individual.

This was supposed to be a self-loathing, self-indulgent, emo and whiney entry that would make me seem like some self-pitying expert, but I'd just watched a documentary that described hardships faced by some of our founding mothers and got a timely reminder of how fortunate I am to be born in this day and age.

Tonight I'm thankful for many things, and just to name a few:

I'm thankful for the roof over my head,
I'm thankful for the food in my belly,
I'm thankful for my comfortable bed
(and blankie which I'll snuggle under in a few moments!),
I'm thankful for the love from my family,
I'm thankful for the laughter and joy my friends have brought me,
I'm thankful for the hot water showers I can get,
I'm thankful that I only need to turn on the tap when I am thirsty,
I'm thankful for the many opportunities to travel,
I'm thankful for the education that I've received,
I'm thankful for the opportunity to give back,
I'm thankful for my very existence (however insignificant),

and most importantly,
I am thankful for being able to express my gratitude for these little things that make up my life
- yes, even at the expense of sounding like the most naggy person on earth.

So, thank you dear Samsui ladies. For contributing to the early progress of our nation, and for the timely reminder that nothing we face can be as tough as the hurdles that you've had to get through during the peaks of your lives.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...