Thursday, June 14, 2012

favourites...

Unlike many other people, I've always thought it quite impossible to settle on a favourite.
When people ask me a question like "What's your favourite (insert topic)?",
I would take the longest damned time,
go through a tedious process of raking through my head for an answer only to say:
"Still haven't decided on my favourite _____ yet leh."
It's definitely not the answer that askers have waited for.
Over time, I realized that people don't really care if I have a favourite _____ or not,
they just want an answer so I began saying (very reluctantly though)
that my favourite foods are chai por and ice cream.
Reluctant because I'm not sure if I love them so much to the extent that I should 'favouritize' them,
and there's a whole lot of other foods that I've yet to try; what if I've just not met my favourite food yet?
(But there's no doubt that I really, really love chai por and ice cream)

I'm not too sure if it's a problem (yet), being unable to decide on favourites,
but I sort of enjoy the process of discovering my favourites;
e.g. thinking about qualities that make me like them so much.
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one around who puts so much thought into deciding what I truly like.
And I don't have a doubt that makes me weird as hell.

To illustrate, I love chai por so much because of its savoriness.
But that's not enough to justify it as one of my favourite foods.
I love how the sweetness of chai por can be tasted and is intensified
(despite its lingering savoriness) with each chew.
I love how the 2 basic tastes complement each other,
and how I'm able to taste that with each irresistible crunch.
I can eat nearly everything with chai por in them.
And I've even thought about the possibility of chai por as an ice-cream flavour.
A combination of two of my favourite foods, how great is that!

Anyway, things are slowly changing.
I've began to speed up the process of deciding on some of my favourite things.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...