Monday, June 25, 2012

小動作,大感動

Something that happened at ECP today:

Halfway through a half-eaten bak zhang during lunch at our usual stone bench this afternoon, a man came up to us and suggested to Chubs and Yuetmun that it'd be nice if we could pick up trash littering the beach (the bay right in front of PA) because there seemed to be more rubbish than usual today. 

So off the three of them went, picking up pieces of plastic as they walked along the beach.

I continued working on my bak zhang, carefully picking out mushroom slices, chestnuts and fatty meat to chew on while skillfully avoiding the sinful clumps of sticky glutinous rice. With eyes observing what was going on down on the sandy beach, I thought aloud, somewhat bemusedly, "Wah, self-imposed CWO?" when I saw how Chubs and Yuetmun set off with the man without hesitation. In the midst of the semi-devouring of my yummy bak zhang(s), I saw another lady join them in the cleaning act; later learnt that the man is her husband.

"Let's get a plastic bag to contain the trash!", the man suggested again, and someone (I can't remember who) came back with two large trash bags from the restaurant.

Bit by bit, the four of them started filling one of the two trash bags; one person would be holding the mouth of the bag open so that everyone else can throw the bits of trash picked up into it with greater ease. By the time I was done with my bak zhang (*burps* :p), I decided to join in the 'fun' with CY too. It started off as a relatively dry affair for me; I stuck very closely to the shoreline, never venturing beyond the point where the sand and water met. I picked up small broken pieces of plastic sheets, bits of styrofoam from food containers and this trash-picking act must have been gratifying in one way or another, because in no time, I found myself going deeper and deeper into the water, trying to 'go after' floating bits of trash. 

I don't know what made me decide to step into the water (when I haven't changed into my wet gear), and when I finally realized that the water was at my chest level, I decided to get out of the water and change into my rash guard (and floppy fisherman hat!) before heading back to pick up more trash. 

On my way back to the water, I saw an old lady, and two more other windsurfers join in the trash-picking (one of them even swam quite far out). For a moment, I felt a warm and fuzzy feeling (partly probably due to the heat) in my heart after observing this chain effect. They began picking up the trash too not because they were told or asked to, but instead, did so of their own accord, after seeing others do it. 

And I had to ask myself Why.
Was it because they felt that the beach's cleanliness should be a collective and shared responsibility?
Was it because they felt that more hands make lighter work?
Was it because they wanted some recognition from the beach users?
Was it because they only realized how dirty the beach is after others started picking up all that trash?
Was it because they felt like doing something nice by helping to make the beach cleaner for the other windsurfers/beach users?
Or was it simply because they were just too bored from the waiting of hopeful winds promised by ULFP?

I know it's just a very simple deed, and of course, trash-picking can not and should not be placed on the same rung of deeds as say, pulling someone out of a burning house or even volunteering at some shelter/home, but still, it was a very nice gesture that was made (assuming they were motivated by some of the reasons that I've just tried to provide) that I'm sure all the beach users would appreciate. For me, I  felt that it was a pleasant experience to witness this goodness in man and I was also truly surprised by the responses that could be triggered with just a bit of initiative by a single person.

Anyhow, the two trash bags were filled up very quickly with the help of people who chipped in a bit of time and effort. Some of the other things that were picked up in addition to the slimy plastic sheets/bags and styrofoam bits included: slimy straws, empty packet-drink/shampoo sachets, plastic cups, nylon strings and ropes, a durian husk (!) and more slimy plastic sheets. It made me a little upset thinking about how some people simply treat the sea as a dumping ground, judging from all the trash that we've picked in that very short period of time; there's really a lot more we can do to educate. And I was kind of hoping (with anti-fervour) that I should not be so unlucky as to come across really gross trash like a used condom (thank goodness no!).

The water was exceptionally clear today; at knee level, I could still see my toes on the sand bed. To be honest, it'd still have been this clear even without us picking up those trash. Knowing that we have a trash-free environment that's made possible by ourselves (however temporal it might be) to windsurf/swim in however, seemed to have made that matter to a slightly lesser extent.


No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...