Sunday, June 10, 2012

pancakes for brunch

Winded up at Peace Centre on Monday with the girlies after an unsuccessful karaoke attempt at Chinatown; we decided to go for some L4D2 (imagine: lots of screaming, dodging, and clueless crazy clicking) instead.

Since it was still early and we've yet to have lunch, I suggested we pop by Strictly Pancakes that's just across the road. They opened for business 2 minutes after we arrived (at 11-ish); we didn't have to wait too long to get a table. A few others were also seen waiting even before the place was opened.

Picture taken from Rongster's mobile uploads.

We settled ourselves comfortably on the second level, and I found myself to really like the laid-back shophouse setting. Placed our orders with the friendly servers and they brought us some pancake accompaniments before our items were ready.

Special butters: rum and raisin (top), garlic herb (bottom)

Orders of savoury pancakes come with a small dish of butter and a vial of maple syrup.

Benedict the Thief ($14) - basically eggs Benedict on pancakes.
Turkey ham is what goes in between the poached eggs and two extra thick pancakes.
Served with some rocket salad in balsamic vinaigrette dressing and Hollandaise sauce on the side.
The pancakes were quite nicely done; fluffy and light... and it was such a joy to cut through them (compared to places that serve eggs Benedict with really tough, crusty toasts).
The eggs were poached well too, with the right amount of yolk oozing out when I used my fork to prod it open. I thought they could be slightly more generous with the seasoning though, but then again, I'm always asking for my food to be saltier.

Snuggle Up ($13) - hotdogs tucked within pancakes and drizzled with maple syrup; served with caramelized onions and a quail's egg on the side.
The hotdog was savoury to my liking, and the onions were quite yummy too.
But at $13, I was really expecting to see more hearty portions.
Atas hotdog also not that expensive right?

 Apples and Cinnamon ($10) - A stack of 3 pancakes with caramelized apples and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
At first impression, the girlies thought that the apples were potatoes hur.
Could taste strong hints of cinnamon in it but I thought that the apples could be further caramelized; till slightly crisp from the char. Not too sure if that's achievable though, I am quite the cooking noob.
No fault to find with the ice-cream that was served by the side, it was really quite good.


Enjoyed my meal even though I'm really supposed to be on a carbo sabbatical. 
Really like the idea of pairing pancakes with savoury items though the prices for the savoury pancakes are not exactly that cheap. Business was brisk as the place was quite packed by the time we were done. Wouldn't mind coming back again if I happen to be in the area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the garlic and herb, rum and raisin butter!

aj said...

me too! those are very special butters :)

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...