Monday, June 4, 2012

#17 Someone from your childhood

That would be my 奶媽!
There was no one to look after both me and YF after school back when we were much younger because Mum would be out working and Dad would be working overseas too, most of the time anyway.
So, they got the help of a nanny whom we came to know as Ah Gek Auntie.
She had short cropped hair in the classic curry-puff style (blown and puffy), tattooed lower eyelids and wore gold earrings/studs most of the time.
Lunch would usually be ready by the time we got back to her place from school and I remember having a lot of Teochew porridge for lunch during that period.
There were lots of eggs, fish, chai xim, salted meats, salted eggs and the likes.
And that must have been when I developed my weird habit of breaking yolks of hard-boiled eggs into smaller pieces and mixing them with porridge.
Post lunch activities usually include trying to complete my homework, afternoon naps and playing masak-masak with the other girl that was under the care of Ah Gek Auntie.
Ah Gek Auntie lived right across from our block,
and we would head to her place daily after school for 2-3 years of our lives.


We visited her at her new place a couple of times after she shifted and our parents decided that we were getting slightly too grown-up for a nanny.
It was good to see her and her family well and be reminded of how some afternoons of my childhood were spent again.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...