Thursday, May 6, 2010

Monkey circus

Ah Gong, in his usual stupor, stepped into the living room and said something unpleasant. Then, adults started behaving like children and I didn't understand why everyone was fighting for a chance to be heard. Amidst all the raised voices and interruption, I couldn't help but wonder to myself "wow where did everyone get their scripts from?" 

Taiwan drama serials? I never thought real-life family affairs (what's more, my own family) could get this messy, and the worst things that they show on telly are just make-believe; shows how much I know about them, doesn't it? Anyway, tonight, I learnt that women like to repeat what they say; time and time again. I heard mumsy say the same thing about my paternal grandma at least 8 times and I was so sick of it by the 4th. I'd wanted to tell her that she should really try to say something different, you know, just for impact/interest's sake. Blah. Now you know where my 'naggy genes' come from.

I couldn't understand all that was being said, not being the most eloquent Hokkien speaker myself, but I know enough to make out that trouble's been brewed and is now being served. I never knew there could be so much tension involved when my relatives start talking about money. It was a big dumbing moment for me, all 90 minutes of it (no half-time); there was no place for my voice to be heard, not that I can actually contribute to help make things any better. I hope this will be the last time I'll need to witness such a scene, and dear AJ, please remember that all that I've just seen will not be repeated in my own future family.

Oh, another dumbing moment took place in my uncle's car, while we were on the way to visit Grandma before all that drama took place. In a mixture of Manglish and Mandarin, he told me how his failed business has affected his life.

What was I to say? I could only offer nods to indicate acknowledgment of what has just been said and I wanted to tell him to look on the bright side of life and get his act back after some time because he can't possibly be wallowing in self-pity from now to future; only I didn't, because he'd probably feel like I'm too young, am just being rude and won't understand what he's going through. He sounded almost suicidal and depressed and I was really sad that one of the most optimistic relatives I had in the past has turned out to be one of the most dejected ones.

I've never had to talk to my uncle (and aunty some days back) about such serious/grown-up issues; is this a sign of adulthood? If yes, then how come everything is so unlike what I'd always made it to be in my tiny mind?

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...