Sunday, June 13, 2010

When in Rome...

The title of today's entry is a little misleading because I'm not really in Rome anymore right now. We left Italy this morning; hopped onto a night train from Rome, arrived in Milano early morning, and finally boarded the train to Zurich (approx. 12 hours of train ride in total!) after a 2-hour wait.

I've been watching The Pianist on our bumpy night train here, and I was not only entranced by the beautifully haunting melodies played, but also gaping in silent horror at the sadistic deeds carried out by the Nazi soldiers during WW2. I felt a wee bit queer when we finally arrived; almost everyone speaks German here so I couldn't help but be reminded of those awful scenes in the movie, though it was totally unnecessary, everybody has been nothing but friendly and helpful so far; for which I am extremely thankful.


After our 12.70chf lunch at McDonald's (the most expensive Big Mac meal I've had in my 22 years), we took a walk along the main shopping street and cuzzie reminded me that we only have 4 more nights to go in Europe. It also means that I'll have 1 more night in Portsmouth and 2 more in London when we're back in UK; I'll be heading back home soon.

It's been almost a month.

A month; of course, it is nothing but an infinitely tiny measure of time. But in this short span of time, travelling's opened a whole new world to me; my life has suddenly become enriched with precious new experiences; there are simply too many new sights, smells and sounds to be put into an entry like this. And I've also learnt lessons; some teaching me that people are not always the stereotypes that others make them out to be, or that you can never be thankful enough for all that you have. I had an experience in Rome that left in me, a bad case of guilt; and I hated myself for permitting my own narrow-mindedness.

It's getting a little wordy here now; I shall stop soon and head to bed in a moment, we'll be heading to Luzern later in the day to catch a glimpse of the Alps. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello roomie! I miss you! :)

And is the beer cheaper than the water in Zurich? hehe.

xoxo
G

aj said...

i'm coming home soon!
i didn't order water, only coke... i think it's almost as expensive as water... heading to paris tmr liao!

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...