Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Weird people I've met in HK (so far)

Tomorrow will be exactly 3 months since I left Singapore for Hong Kong. In the past month alone, I've had three funny encounters with foreigners who are also currently staying in HK.

I talked about the first guy here. Doesn't sound too funny, right? Maybe that's because I forgot to mention he is a 40-something year old man doing business in mainland China (supposedly). 40-something year old man hitting on a 20-something year old girl; creepy much?

Met the second strange person some few weeks back when I visited Stanley Beach, or rather, when I was heading back to campus from Stanley Beach. After boarding the bus at the terminus, this lady with cropped hair decided to sit right next to me, despite the fact that there were so many other vacant seats around me (really is a lot okay). Halfway through the bus journey, she started talking to me; I learnt that she's from the Philippines, and that she's here in HK on holiday for 5 days (3rd or 4th day when we met supposedly) and that she's already been to Disneyland and Ocean Park and yadah yadah yadah, also been to London, and some other parts of Europe that I can't remember. Before she got off, she asked me for my number and said that maybe we could meet up for a drink or something before she leaves. Since she looked relatively harmless (as compared to the 40-odd year old man) and appeared to be quite friendly, I agreed and punched my number into her mobile. She messaged me like a few days later (definitely beyond her 5-day vacation) so I was really puzzled that she hasn't gone back to the Philippines.



Call me a skeptic or [insert whatever awful name you have for me], but I find it extremely hard to believe that people can extend their vacation on a whim just like that for 6 months lor. And what's more, I remember her telling me that "Hong Kong is a really small place with not too much to see" (in verbatim) so... what's up with wanting to extend her stay here for another half a year? Contradicting much?

She's probably just feeling very lonely here, but me being the usual heartless me, I didn't reply after the first message.

Met the last guy two Sundays ago when I decided to catch a movie on my own at Festival Walk. While walking to the cinema box office, someone tapped me on my right shoulder and started talking to me. He asked me in Cantonese what were some of the nice places in HK for partying/nights out, etc and I replied in broken Cantonese that I'm not local so I don't really know but the Wan Chai area should be a safe enough bet. We switched to English (after he probably can't stand my broken Cantonese any longer hurhur) and in our very short conversation, I learnt that his name is Deep/Dip (whatever, it sounded like that), he's originally from Guangzhou, doing his degree on traditional Chinese medicine here in HK currently and that he would like to have my number too, so that he could ask me out for drinks. I have a feeling that he was probably doing a dare of sorts with his friends so nah, don't think too much about it okay :)

That's it for my strange encounters with foreigners in HK; haven't met too much strange locals yet as of now, guess they're all too busy to notice a geeky Singaporean girl like me.

2 comments:

shir said...

HAHAHAHA jia, you're a magnet for weird people, just like simin, hahahaha! creepy much indeed!anyway, when are you coming back home?

aj said...

i don't get so much attention from weird people back home... so it must be because i really don't look local here i guess. i haven't booked my tickets yet, but i guess first week of june?

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...