Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First visit to Jason's Bay

Hopped onto Rodin's car last Friday with Mingle and Gerald, and we made our way to Jason's Bay (somewhere in/near Kota Tinggi in Malaysia).

Photobucket
attracted a fair bit of attention at the customs


Photobucket

I've been hearing stories about the place from the senior windsurfers; stories about big, tall waves, honking winds, how the surfers would need to walk a kilometre down the beach should they get drifted too far off, and so on. Now's finally my chance to take a look at the place myself.

Photobucket
pretty patterns in the sand

After our hearty Ba Kut Teh lunch, it started pouring heavily along the way to Jason's Bay. It didn't stop even after we arrived, and the guys were even thinking of moving to another location, Palau (or Pulau, can't remember) if the rain wouldn't stop.

Photobucket
some more pretty sand patterns

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Thankfully, the rain stopped a hour or so later. The wind started blowing constantly and the guys were more than ready to rig up and start sailing.

Photobucket
Mingle's, Rodin's and Gerald's

Photobucket
R using G's Ka sail.

Photobucket
G on R's Neil Pryde.
I was the photographer for the day since I decided that I wasn't ready to surf anywhere else other than Singapore waters.

Photobucket
R's 94Litre.

The shore extends for about a hundred metres into the water, so it was really shallow up till quite far out. The waves, however, were much bigger than what we usually get back at ECP and water conditions were moderately choppy with few white caps. The wind was blowing a constant 10-15 knots; in between gusts, the guys became happy windsurfers.

Photobucket
apparently his first time on a hammock.

I hope by the next visit to Jason's Bay (probably end 2010), I'd be ready to ride the waves and harness the wind! G asked if I wanted to try windsurfing when he thought I was really bored taking pictures on the shore, and I was so tempted to... but I remembered SIM Open's the next day and I really don't want to have any aching muscles before the races start.

Photobucket
cows on the beach

Dropped by some Crab King place back in Johor, and we had some butter-cream crabs (奶油蟹), deep fried calamari coated with salted egg-yolk, sambal lalas and some seafood tofu. It was quite a hit-&-miss dinner; I really liked the calamari and lalas, felt that butter-cream crabs could've been a little better and the tofu was just, ordinary.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket


No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...