Thursday, January 14, 2010

SIM Windsurfing Championship 2010

It was two exciting days of racing for the few of us from NTU who took part. Everyone had such high expectations for the event but great expectations usually lead to disappointments, and that was exactly what happened. It's really easy to whine about how many things could have been improved, but then again, it must really not be easy for the guys from SIM to be coordinating such a large-scale event. Hence, I really want to say a heartfelt thank you to them for the successful organization of SIMWC.

Photobucket
david, tits

It was the first time where I did not screw up as badly for my races as I used to, where I stopped panicking badly and actually had more or less an idea what to do, and the first time I've ever gotten a medal (finished in 2nd place) for windsurfing. There were 3 girls in my category (so I'd get 3rd at worst), two of which are from SIM. While I did quite well for the races on the first day, I got complacent and got my ass whooped on the second. It was definitely a good experience though, finally having won something and not being at the back of the pack. I'm looking forward to more racing before I graduate in two years' time!

Photobucket
shiqi, kayyong - 4metres!

If either one of you two are reading this, I just want to say to you, DON'T GIVE UP! It's only your first races (and there's definitely more to come), so you'll need a lot more of experience before you guys can finally get something out of it. I can totally relate to how you guys are feeling, since I did just as badly in the past and it's not exactly the nicest feeling. Don't be demoralized, stay in the game, train hard, and the hard work will pay off.

Photobucket
yinghui - can't wait to see her surf!

And I've not mentioned how much I appreciate the help of all the (NTU) helpers who came down and helped out, one way or another. Yinghui's always giving us advice on the right courses to take, starts, just about anything we can think of and I'm so thankful she's there to give us so much guidance.

Photobucket
all of us!

ITWC in about less than a month's time. I hope we will all race well!

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...