Sunday, October 26, 2008

Windsurfing Diaries 4 - Port Rounding

South-west wind. 4 square-metres sail.

For the past 2 weeks or so, we trained with a self-made buoy (funky green plastic bag filled with lots of air, attached to a heavy bag of sand at the other end). Thanks to KH for taking the initiative to come up with that idea so that our trainings will have clearer objectives! 

The outline of today's training was a route set for us to do a few successive tacks upwind before we rounded the DIY-buoy on the port side, and bare away till we finally came to a run and gybed. The first part of the route was alright, but I got really unstable when I came round to the buoy and that resulted in many splashes into the water. I swear my nose hurt back then from all that seawater entering my nostrils! I guess that was mainly due to the transition from moving upwind to downwind. More practice. Act, not worry!

Anyway, today I realized the importance of adjusting the boom to the right height. Mine turned out to be a little too tall for me and towards the end of the session, my arms were aching from hanging onto the boom in mid-air. I will never be lazy bout adjusting the height of the boom, never again.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...