Friday, November 7, 2008

coming to an understanding

Telling a 10-year old kid that religion is about choices is easy. 
Getting him to understand that is not. 

I find it difficult to go on in Science when my kid says things like "fishing is wrong because it is killing and killing is evil" when we talk about the different materials used to make a fishing rod, or "meat is disgusting" when I touch on the topic of sense of taste. I am not (though coming close to) some damned atheist; I understand that he has his own beliefs, some of which formed from the way he was brought up and I have absolutely no wish to change his views of it. Question is, how do I make him see beyond his own religion/beliefs? To understand and accept the other groups there are out there, is it even possible?

I am only dealing with one kid now; can't imagine what I'd do when I have to face 30+ of them everyday of my working life in future. Gee.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...