Saturday, December 20, 2008

I love Penang!

So much's changed here in the past 3 years; my little cousins are all grown up, and new giant malls are springing up all over the place, but everyone's still as friendly as ever. So 383 miles away from Singapore last night, I stepped into my grandma's place after the longest break ever, and the first thing that came to their mouths were: "an zua luh an ni orh?!", and my grandma was like "za bor kia an ni orh bo swee la!" I couldn't help but burst out laughing.

It's only my first day here and I have a super bad feeling that I'll be going back heavier by at least a few kilos. 

Dinner last night consisted of: Penang char kway teow, kway chup (duck version lo!), yong tau hu, geng geng (do you know what's this?) soup, braised chicken feet, tau huay (with black sugar syrup), and some other really yummy dishes I can't remember what!

Breakfast for today was made up of apom (some damn shiok pancake), hokkien mee (prawn soup noodles yum), wanton mee, lum mee, curry mee (shiok shiok shiok! finally had a taste of curded pig's blood again), and lor mee with chicken feet. Treated my grandma, mama and Aunt Peggy to xiao long baos and Shanghainese fare at some Chinese restaurant a few hours ago, and the food was not bad too.

ALL the food here taste so damned good and it doesn't help that they come in servings half the size of Singapore's. And guess what, I'm heading to Gurney Drive later in the night with more relatives and I'm looking forward to all the yummy stuff; asam laksa, lok lok, more apom, ice kachang and chendol, deep fried chicken skin (!!) and so on. *salivates*

Staying at Aunt Peggy's (greatest hosts ever) new place currently and it's a really nice place, and really near Queensbay Shopping Mall. We just got back from the mall with a few bags of clothes/lingerie/shoes, etc. They have the furriest pomeranian around and it's name is Bingo. Poor Bingo's got his right hind leg injured (for whatever reason) and he's hopping around on three legs; let's hope it'll be okay soon.

Penang, I missed you so!

ps. My grandma just said I've put on weight gahhhhhhh!!!

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...