Friday, June 26, 2009

Hong Kong: Part Two

10 Things To Do In Hong Kong

Photobucket

Photobucket

1. Take the MTR; it's very similar to our MRT, only much more complicated (convenient nonetheless!)... and I thought the underground passages were really helpful in preventing people from losing their ways. Each station has is colour-themed, and I really liked it that it's all so colourful!

Photobucket

2. Visit Lan Kwai Fong to have a drink; it's like Hong Kong's version of Clark Quay/Holland Village, only that you have to walk up a slope. Lots of expats here, and drinks don't exactly come cheap here, but really, it's a good time to people-watch and unwind if you're here!

Photobucket

Photobucket

3. Visit the Peak; prefably in the night time because the night view of the city from the top is quite fwah, to me at least. I couldn't stop staring at the beautiful display of lights, and it felt really nice, with the cold night breeze blowing. We were really lucky to have KH bring us all the way up there.

4. Ocean Park; didn't manage to visit this amusement park because we were too fixated on shopping. Will visit the next time if I visit Hong Kong. I heard it's much better than Disneyland here, and there's a Singapore International School just beside it. If I ever want to work out of Singapore anytime in the future, I guess I have one more option now.

5. Lantau; haven't been here as well. As above, if I'm ever going to come back here... I want to take a picture with the Giant Buddha!

6. Take a taxi, at night, because it's much cheaper without all the nonsense surcharges. It's really easy to get a cab here, and I guess you don't have to worry too much bout getting ripped off, because they charge according to the meters.

Photobucket

7. Ferry Rides; and if I didn't remember wrongly, they're also called Shui Ba (loosely translated, it means water bus). It's much cheaper as compared to the other modes of transport (only HKD2.20!), but the downside is, there's only a few operating harbours now and it takes a much longer time as compared to taxis and the MTR.

8. Visit Cha Chan Tengs; they're really a big part of the Hong Kongers' culture so it's a good opportunity to experience how they really dine, and have what the locals have! See for yourself what's the difference between the Cha Chan Tengs you have here in Singapore and those in Hong Kong. You'll realize there's really nothing too Tea Restaurant-ish about the Tea Restaurants here in Singapore.

Photobucket


Photobucket

9. Toilet Restaurant, this is one of the many novelty restaurants that you just want to visit after hearing about it... The interior decoration is really quirky; food and drinks are served in crockery that ressemble toilet bowls and urinals (bathroom related), and the ambience's rather cozy, but to be really frank, I thought the food's just so-so. A damned good place to camwhore and take act-cute pictures. And look at the page for desserts, the words in Chinese; gives a whole new world to the meaning of eat shit (or jiak sai!) ha!

Photobucket

Photobucket

10. One of the main reasons why people come to Hong Kong for: SHOPPING! It wasn't the sale period so things weren't exactly too cheap (got some good deals nonetheless), but the key word is 'variety'. You have all the upmarket brands like LV, Coach, D&G, and so on in giant malls like Sogo... but there're also little outlets (as well as the famous street market Loi Yan Gai, Ladies' Street) selling all sorts of knick knacks and cheap but nice clothes in Mongkok. I think it's quite unbelievable how I got myself 10 pairs of shoes; talk about impulsive shopping. Or maybe, I'm just a shoe-person!

Photobucket


And that's about it. I hope you guys had fun reading, because it's been a lot of fun typing this, just that I should work a little faster next time and not be sleeping at 5-ish in the morning again. Anyway, before I sneak off to bed, here's a big Cheers to travelling!

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...