Wednesday, June 3, 2009

(Not-so)-Korean BBQ/Steamboat

Siaos drove us to a super ulu place for a Korean BBQ and steamboat dinner last night. After a short while of Siaos trying to find the place, we finally arrived at Aroozoo Avenue. It's really just a two-minute drive from Kovan, but the place is really well-hidden amongst the private housing estate, and you'll probably never ever hear about it if I didn't blog this. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration.

The parking there's free for now; the EPS is not yet activated, so... I guess it's quite a good time to visit. We got seated in one minute, since it wasn't quite dinner-time yet. You get to choose two out of three available choices for soup base, and we went for Pork Ribs and Herbal Chicken. In case you're wondering, the last one would be Tom Yum.


chicken, mutton, pork, beef, fish... just about everything

Didn't waste too much time idling around. Once the server went off to get our pot of soup-base, we headed for both the cooked and raw food stations to fill our plates. The cooked-food selection wasn't too impressive; it consisted of a variety of pork dumplings, and some sweet/savoury red-bean paste pastry. The variety of raw food for the steamboat and BBQ was pretty standard, I suppose... Free-flow of drinks; you get to choose from from orange fizzy, apple fizzy (green some more) and your standard cola (not Coca Cola though), and they even have ice-cream (free-flow again) for dessert; King's Strawberry, Ripple, Sweet Corn, Chocolate, Mint Chip, etc.

rou bao zi; this was just okay.

The bill came up to about $10 each (by far the cheapest bbq buffet dinner I've ever had, in Singapore at least); they're having a promotion where ladies only pay 50% of the usual price from Mondays to Thursdays. To be really honest, I think the food's just alright, I think Shabu Shabu's still my favourite so far; in terms of variety and quality (and best chicken nuggets). I don't have too much complaints for that price that I'm paying though, and I'd definitely come back again for a pig-out session with girl pals! Or maybe, just my mum and me. For only $10, I think this is the cheapest BBQ/Steamboat Buffet you can get in the whole of Singapore (for ladies).

Post-dinner, we took a walk around the compound and here was what I spotted: Pukka - a really small ice-cream parlour, Sicilia - an Italian restaurant that was void of customers (I wonder how do shops like these survive), The Cavern - a sports restaurant-and-bar in one, a Japanese-grill restaurant (can't remember the name, paiseh), and a prawning pond that's opened 24 hours daily.


one of my greatest weaknesses...

And despite all that free-flow ice-ceam we had at the BBQ place, we settled at Pukka, the ice-cream place and ordered a cone each, Siaos & me. I'd really wanted to just get one scoop in the cup but Siaos was like, "the cone is nice lor", so I just had to get my ice-cream in a cone. They have the usual flavours, and some really unconventional ones; I got myself a scoop of Ribena and Siaos had a scoop of Butterscotch. The Ribena-flavoured ice-cream tasted just like Ribena, though the texture was pretty foamy and it's really more of a sorbet than ice-cream. Siaos' Butterscotch-flavoured ice-cream reminded us of Island Creamery's Burnt Caramel; and it's something that I'd dig. If I'm ever coming back again, I'm going to have a scoop of the Cheesecake ice-cream!

And yes, the cone was nice.

This Aroozoo place looks like a pretty nice place to chill out already!

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...