Wednesday, July 29, 2009

On a diet... with Nam Kee's Chicken Rice Restaurant and Icekimo

You guys are probably never ever going to believe me again for that, but I really, really do want to lose some weight; drop a few kilos by the end of the year and keep a more healthy weight. I've been cutting down on food consumption; two meals a day instead of three (because I wake up so damned late, and ice-cream's not considered a meal), and not over-eating whenever I can.

I really liked stuffing myself silly at the dinner table; sometimes it was plain greediness, and other times I just thought it was wasteful not to finish up. Keeping fingers crossed that I'll stick to my "no over-eating policy"... and the guys will no longer have to joke about my harness ra.
___

Dieting issues aside (:p), I headed down to Thomson with Shir, Simin and Kwunhok for dinner last night. We ended up at Nam Kee's, a chicken rice restaurant along the long stretch of food places at Thomson, before getting a few pieces of cheesecakes/brownies to share from a shop hidden in a secluded corner and finally settling down for ice cream at Icekimo.

The interior of Nam Kee looks like one of those traditional and really old-school kopitiams, but it's fully air-conditioned. It felt very much like one of those (and probably is) family restaurants where the entire family comes together to help with the manning of the shop.

Photobucket
water chestnut and lime juice

Apart from their specialty, chicken rice, they also serve some zi char dishes like Ma Po Tofu, Sweet and Sour Pork, Fried Omelettes, Fish, Sambal Kang Kong, etc etc. We ordered half a roast chicken, half a boiled chicken, some greens and a Ma Po Tofu.

Photobucket
my favourite condiment for chicken rice

The chicken was nice, but not the nicest that I've had. The meat was tender, most of the time, but there were times when I thought it was a little dry... or maybe it was just the breast portion (not a big fan of chicken breast meat).

Photobucket
check out the matching blue

Our Ma Po Tofu and greens weren't too bad either, like what I said earlier, it's a lot like what you'd get from zhi char stalls at kopitiams; familiarity.

Photobucket
our tofu; quite a variety of ingredients in there

Photobucket
the spread

There were a few more close-up pictures that I took of the chicken but I deleted them by accident. Anyway, the food's not bad on the whole, but don't expect anything too mind-blowing. Our bill came up to $46 for the four of us; pretty reasonable since we had two more dishes apart from the chicken.

Photobucket
iceberg.

We moved across the road over to Icekimo for some ice-cream post-dinner. I just realized there's quite a few ice-cream shops sprouting up all over the island... and that said, Icekimo is one of them. I thought the Banana and Walnut combi that KH picked was rather nice; and I sort of regretted not picking the more quirky Guiness Chocolate Chip flavour. Ohwell, I guess that calls for a second visit soon.


ps. I watched Slumdog Millionaire (online) finally; I like it and I shed a tear or two when I saw all the nasty things that poverty drives people to do and the unfairness of society sometimes.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...