Thursday, July 9, 2009

Teaching Observations

Third day into the whole experience thing, and so far, everything's been great. We really don't do anything much apart from observing how the teachers conduct lessons, and giggling to ourselves when the students say something funny, or when your fellow NIE schoolmate says it.

The food that's being sold in the canteen are served in really small plates and bowls, and they're all just so cute to look at. Hur. And I really enjoy the (incredibly cheap) $1.50 meals that I've been having for the past few days.

Anyway, I guess H1N1's been pretty disruptive to lessons so far. Apart from the usual twice-a-day-temperature-taking procedures, students are required to sit in columns (seating arrangement during examination periods) so social distancing is maximized (seriously, what bullshit). It's really tough to carry out group discussions with their current seating arrangements, but I guess the teachers are finding ways to work that out. And speaking of which, they have all been really helpful to the trainees; always ready to offer advice when we needed any, and it makes me feel a teeny weeny bit of guilt since I'm having trouble trying to keep myself awake in classes sometimes (some things just don't change hur... ha).

Apart from trying hard not to fall asleep in class, I've been thinking about how I'm really looking forward to teaching my very own class when the time comes. I can imagine myself standing at the front of the classroom, imparting knowledge to my students, punishing them when they make mistakes, die from suppressing laughter just because they're so damned cute sometimes... I really can do this!


ps. They look really small sitting at their desks when we walk about in the classrooms, and I feel really powerful overlooking them like that even though I'm really not teaching. Hur hur.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...