Friday, September 18, 2009

Which is heavier, 1kg of cotton or 1kg of iron?


Because you are not my primary five kid, I'm assuming that you already have the answer in mind. I don't know how we ended up discussing this question when we were doing English and Math instead of Science (in the first place), but he absolutely refused to believe that they weigh the same even after I explained to him the concepts of density and volume. He said that he would write them as equal in exams if he has been taught to do so, but that is not what he believes.

If it's so hard to even change the beliefs of a young child after by proving your ideas with facts and figures, I can't imagine what it'd take to change that of grown-ups like you and I.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...