Saturday, October 8, 2011

Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant 瑞春点心餐厅

Missed eating brekkie here the last time with YF because we got out of bed way too late, so I dragged Mumsy here with me for dinner two nights ago.

We arrived at the dim sum restaurant five minutes before 7. More than half of the tables in there were occupied by then (despite it being a rainy evening) but we managed to get a table nonetheless. Placed our orders and food was served very promptly.


#1 Chee cheong fun. NOT HK-style where there's charsiew/prawn fillings stuffed in between those rolls, just the version that we've been eating while growing up all these years. The sweet and chili sauce were served on the side in a little sauce dish so you can add in however little/much sauce you want to. It was mediocre at best, but I am being biased here since I am not a big fan of chee cheong fun; unless you're talking about the freshly-made ones found at Old Airport Road Hawker Centre *that is love*.


#2 Lor mai gai - The big piece of mushroom sure made it more tasty-looking; I found the glutinous rice to be lacking in flavour, though the pieces of chicken were tender (like how they should be in all lor mai kais). 


#3 Deep fried fish skin - I was so happy to see this on the menu; I've been missing it ever since I left Hong Kong and now, I can have it in Singapore too! Didn't order any piping hot soup for dipping, but they tasted okay on their own or when dipped in the dim sum chili sauce.


#4 Fried custard pumpkin - Very pretty dish and unconventional in terms of its looks. This is a deep fried pastry made from glutinous rice flour and pumpkin paste; the outer layer's chewy (and oily) and they were rather generous with the pumpkin paste filling; it tasted slightly sweet and mostly savoury. Mumsy said it tasted like green bean paste found in some ang ku kuehs. It was something that I'd order just because it looked so cute on the menu.


#5 Chicken claw - Not mind-blowing but passable.


#6 Red bean paste pancake - One of my favourites (and Mumsy too) for this dinner. Liked it because the red bean paste was sweet, but not excessively, and the pancake was actually crispy while it was still hot.


#7 Sichuan chili oil wanton - Wasn't as spicy as I'd expected it to be. And nope, I wouldn't order this again.


#8 Crispy eggplant with meat floss - The eggplant was relatively tasteless on its own, the floss provided most of the taste. Ordered this because I sorta like eggplants but I think I'd very much prefer the ones stewed/simmered in sauce after trying it deep-fried. 


#9 Carrot cake - Another dim sum dish that I have a soft spot for; this was quite average-tasting (but I had at least 3 pieces anyway!).


#10 Xiao long bao - Not a lot of soup in there but still passable. Of course, it can't compare to Crystal Jade's (at least for me).


#11 Mee sua kueh - Definitely the most interesting dish of the night, taste and texture-wise. This is made entirely of mee sua; the mee sua is 'compressed' into blocks, pan/deep-fried, cut up and then served. If I come back again, I'd probably order it again since this is the only place in Singapore (I think) that sells this.


#12 Bean-curd prawn roll - There's minced pork in there too, apart from prawns. Mumsy liked this, and I thought it was okay, though not fantastic.


All in all, though the food was average-tasting, the prices were really affordable (for most of the items anyway) and there was really nothing to complain about the service. Since it was raining rather heavily outside and the restaurant is air-conditioned, Mumsy asked one of the servers if the ceiling fan right above us could be switched off - they did so with no questions asked. 

I'd probably be back again to try some of the items on the menu that'd caught my eye like 口水鸡, banana prawn fritters and have another serving of that deep fried fish skin.

Swee Choon opens from 6pm to 10am, and there's a take-away counter just next to the restaurant if you feel like doing take-aways. Late-night foodies, if you don't know about this place yet, here's a new supper venue for you.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...