Sunday, October 9, 2011

There's something about Fridays

That is my favourite day of the week - I get really excited counting down to Friday since it signifies a weekend of rest ahead, most of the time anyway.

Asked Jenny out for dinner and we finally got to try the much-raved Ippudo located at Mandarin Gallery. The interior was nicely decorated; red, white and black ceramic (?) bowls and spoons were used to decorate the walls and there's a grand-looking chandelier hanging right above our table. Servers would shout out some greetings in Japanese in unison when they spot customers entering/leaving the restaurant but it's not the usual Sakae/Suki Sushi greetings. 


#1 Salmon on hot-plate - This was on the seasonal menu, though I can't think of how salmon is seasonal. It came across as a little dry, but we polished off all of it anyway. The butter looks like it's been infused with some herbs, and it's a pity that I didn't really manage to taste anything special.


#2 Shiromaru Tamago - Jenny ordered this and she seemed to have enjoyed it. I tasted a little of the soup and while it didn't really taste as salty as I'd like it to be, I have to admit that it was quite flavourful.


#3 Akamaru Tamago - Much stronger in flavour due to some special miso paste and garlic oil.

I talked about expectations for food over dinner and confided in Jenny that I'm always getting disappointed by food that's been hyped up; it usually ends up with me stating that so-and-so food is over-rated and I can't see why everyone is raving about it. Note: I'm not a fussy eater and I'll finish whatever's on my plate/bowl whenever I can whenever I'm not trying to go on a diet, I just think that some queues and waits are not really justified.

Maybe I'll need to learn to manage my expectations; food and relationships are similar in this sense - having great expectations will only lead to great disappointments haha.

#4 

Monkeying around at Ion Food Hall; picture with a slightly better resolution that shows my newly-coloured hair.


#5 Sour Sally fro-yo with granola and walnut crumbs

Ignoring what I've just said about food expectations earlier, now this was some good froyo! Xuanie recommended it sometime back but I never had time to make it to town the past few weeks; was really excited when I finally had the chance to try this out at Wisma's basement. I thought it tasted slightly sweeter than my usual favourite (Yoguru ftw), but Jenny said it tasted quite sour and she prefers the one from Canteen 2. 


#6 Hello, meet Sally.

Ordered another one with pink and green mochi-bits for topping and I loved it; could taste hints of melon in the tiny green bits.


#7 Takoyaki with egg mayo from Tsukiji Gindaco at Ion Food Hall

Bun joined us later and this was what she had for dinner. I tried one (10 balls for $7 if I'm not wrong) despite being so bloated from our ramen dinner and it was yummy; was much denser than the usual ones from places like Takashimaya's basement 2 and the octopus chunks were also bigger.

#8 Happy Bun and Jenny

#9

Popped by HnM for a quick look (finally) and got some suspenders for YF when I saw it in the mens' section since he'd been talking about getting those for awhile now. Thankfully, nothing caught my eye and I was happy to be just briefly browsing through whatever they've got in there. 

Winded up at Acid Bar for some drinks at the end of the night, and discussed many things over beer, a glass of sangria and a banana margarita (that tasted like a smoothie).

 #10

Somehow, Bun likened herself to "a monkey who missed her branch" after something that had (or maybe not) taken place in her life and suggested that was a result of her over-thinking things; e.g. having too many considerations such as "is the branch long enough?" and "is the branch thick enough?" My eyes immediately brightened in amusement when she said what she did; couldn't help it but made some suggestive associations with the words "long" and "thick", and that became our joke of the night.

I'm sorry for having such a dirty mind! :p

#11 Banana Margarita


And that sorta marked the end of my fantastic Friday.


Oh, and Korea's not happening. Vietnam is; Bun invited me to join her for a service learning trip where I'll be teaching English as a second language (I think) to some local kids at a home. I'm really excited.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...