Friday, July 2, 2010

wake.up.

Once upon a time, I used to think that my life sucked. That would probably be a few years back, during my secondary school years (and even after). I would complain/whine about every single thing (I kid you not) in my life; like how teachers are always giving us so much homework, holidays are too short, Higher Chinese was so bloody difficult to pass, teacher's voice too high-pitch (very irritating), I never had enough money for this or that, my parents would shout at me for everything, why wouldn't they understand me like how my friends' parents do, and periods (okay, this one I still complain about it), the food sucks at a particular restaurant, my boyfriends were not paying me enough attention, nobody understands me and the list goes on. Endlessly.

I hate to say this but yes, I was a stupid, whiny [please insert more appropriate adjectives if you wish] and ungrateful little bitch! I would really hate to be my friend back in those days (who wants to be friends with someone who complains about her life every single day?); am suddenly feeling very thankful that my friends are still around, and I would gladly buy you guys a drink each to thank you for not deserting me back then.

Then... things came to a stop. I don't know what happened (growing up, maybe?) but I started having a happier outlook towards the littlest things and life started getting better. Much better. But then again, maybe it didn't. I could have just been too preoccupied with noticing all the bad things that I've missed out on the good ones, all that while. I realized what a shame that was and put in a lot of effort to rectify things; i.e. stop missing out on all the golden moments in life that I was going to have and love life for what it is! Things are not going to be any different if you don't initiate the change, starting with yourself.

I can't be anymore thankful that I initiated changes in my life, because right now, it's been nothing but fabulous. I am one lucky bitch.

Looking back, I guess it MUST have been the usual case of growing up. I mean, it's okay to be whining about life (forgivable) when you're 13 or 17, but seriously at 22 (or even older)? I don't get why people are always talking about not wanting to grow up, or how $'s never enough, or how the whole world does not understand what they're feeling.

You have all the words in the world (or at least, enough la) to tell everyone what is it exactly about you/them that you want them to know. Start doing it and get it off your chest. Shy/Paiseh/Introversion are merely excuses to stop yourself from doing what you should.

If you don't have enough money, go and sai nai your parents a bit (more), if not, get off your ass and start looking for a part-time job already. Or if not, face reality and stop thinking that anybody can have all the things in the world that he/she wants at a go. Learn to be happy with what you have, if not, work for whatever it is that you want; sitting around will not make money fall from the sky. Nobody said it's going to be easy, but life is not always a bed of roses and it can only get as tough as we allow it to.

Too many things in life are often overrated; we sing the highest praises for love, sex, food, aesthetic appearances, academic results and the list goes on. Life; the one thing that makes all of that possible, on the other hand, is always underrated; life sucks, right. I find it slightly disappointing that people do not usually put in the same kind of of effort to celebrate or even appreciate life (all you have to do is stop whining; I promise your life will get better instantly) and all its goodness, as they would for something like the opening of a new swanky boutique, or maybe a two-year anniversary with their significant other.


ps. I've decided that I will be Miss Super Unpopular after people read this entry... But, it's ok.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...