Saturday, July 3, 2010

Thunder (Tea) Rice

Mumsy took a day off from work today to go for her check post-lasik check-up at Mount Elizabeth and was told by her doctor that she had to undergo one more procedure on-the-spot; I had the honour of picking her up after her last-minute post-surgery surgery ("$1200 gone in 5 minutes, 很心痛" Those were her words, almost verbatim) late afternoon.

Kinda worried that I'd get caught in a flood when I drove out from the car park; keeping fingers really crossed that there will be no more floods around Orchard (partly due to many people's FB updates that went something like that "XXX wonders which part of Singapore will be flooded today?"). Turned out there were no floods, but I did get stuck after all; in some little massive jams along the way instead.

Decided to bring Mumsy to Joo Chiat for some Penang food (found a few places online last night) to cheer her up :p but we realized the place wasn't there any longer when we arrived. In its place now is a new shop selling Thunder Tea Rice. I've seen them around, but I've never had a chance to try it. So when Mumsy (look me no up and) said "aiya you won't like it one la, it's all vegetables", I replied immediately that we must eat it. 

green tea, chopped long beans, peanuts, cabbage, chopped tofu, star bean (okay I don't know the real name for this paiseh), ikan billis and celery + brown rice

It wasn't as bad as Mumsy made it out to be; I kinda liked it, except for the celery. Apart from all that ingredients you see up there, I don't think think they added a lot of (or maybe none at all) condiments or anything like that so, most of the flavours come from the vegetables (and ikan billis). I suppose in a way it's a super healthy meal... just that it's definitely not for veggie-haters.


'Mint soup' that came with the rice; ignoring the fact that it looks suspiciously like somebody's phlegm (yuck I hate myself for being so disgusting too sometimes), it doesn't taste very pleasant if you drink it on its own, but it makes the rice more 'flavourful' if you mix it in.


Minced chicken patties with mushrooms, water chestnut(?)... and I don't know what else. I liked this pretty much too.

After our Thunder Tea Rice breakfast&lunch&dinner, I told Mumsy I wanted to try the cheesecakes next door. She had to remind me about the diet (albeit unsuccessful one) that I've been talking about ever since I got back :( so I sulked.





But we had cheesecake in the end so all was good hehe! (just kidding about the sulking part too please)


Mango


Cherry Brandy

I really liked them both; they were not cloyingly sweet and the textures were just right.

playing with the new camera


It's been a great day out with Mumsy! She always talks about not wanting to try new stuff, food mostly, and I'm really glad I manage to change her mind sometimes.

Love you deep deep Mumsy.

On an ending note, I've decided that... I will stop talking about going on a diet because there are simply just too many things that I'd like to eat!


ps. (if you want to know where)
Address of Thunder Tea Rice place:
328 Joo Chiat Road
#01-04

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...