Saturday, April 11, 2009

Baby steps in Hardsail and Shortboarding

My second attempt on the shortboard turned out much, much better. The initial part made me felt like I was learning how to windsurf from scratch again; thank goodness it was progressive.
Wind conditions? It was blowing onshore, so you can imagine the difficulty I faced trying to tack upwind. I must have surfed parallel to the shore (and was still stuck in the bay) so many times that people started thinking to themselves "What the hell is this girl doing here after such a long time man?" The currents weren't that strong, since I didn't manage to drift as quickly as I did last week (thank goodness).

Having gotten out of the bay after countless of tacks, I tried to go as upwind as I could; fixed the shoulders and shifted them as back as I could, shifting the weight forward in the meanwhile. All the advice Mingle & Samuel gave worked! The OldBirdGang (until I come up with a better name for them hur) were floating around somewhere near the entrance of the bay and they shouted a lot of stuff at me as I passed by; but I only managed to catch what Chubby said, which went something like "foot don't cross centre line! ahh like that..!", to which I promptly brought my foot towards the side.

Managed to complete a few tacks, and I conclude that I need to work on my agility and my reflexes need to speed up a lot more. If there's going to be an award for the person with the most retarded reflexes, it's definitely going to me. Oh, and double it up with the windsurfer-with-the-worst-wind-sense award too.

Janice brought her two adorable rabbits to the club today. While it rained, we had fun petting and feeding them with food pellets. Talk about entertaining ourselves while we're not out there surfing.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the little I've managed to do today; why rush into things when I can take it slowly? So tomorrow, I'm going to continue taking my baby steps in this windsurfing journey of mine, I hope. Patching of sail counts too right?!

ps. I think the rigging and unrigging periods of windsurfing are the most tiring; I started breaking out in sweat as I carried the board down from the rack.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...