Tuesday, April 7, 2009

my favourite time of the week

Windsurfing, friends' company, the oh-so-familiar bed and... some more of friends' company.

On Saturday, I had my first go on a shortboard. I am not rich enough to buy a set of windsurf equipment on my own, but no matter about that, because the ever-resourceful Mingle popped up with what seemed like a deal too good to be missed. I took over a nice lady's equipment; took over because I didn't pay for the board and sail per se, but instead, I paid for the rental storage for the next quarterly. The guys described the lady to me as a pretty, slim and fair-skinned air-stewardess who doesn't come down to surf anymore. So... three days after my msn conversation with Mingle and S$205 later, I am now a proud co-owner (of sorts la hur) of a bubblegum-coloured shortboard and a 6 square-metres hardsail.

With the help of 3 others, the board was given a good rinsing and ready to be used in a jiffy. Was given a 15-minute crash course on equipment handling; rigging of sail, attachment of mast-foot to the board, etc etc, and spent another good whole 10-minutes following instructions on the proper way of wearing a harness/making adjustments and what-nots.

I would say my first experience on the shortboard was quite terrible, albeit the memorability. The moment my sail caught wind, I started drifting. Note, I said drifting, not surfing. The wind was really light, and I should've known better to sheet in a little more. I was nearing Bedok Jetty faster than I could perform a tack, and trying to get back was seriously a nightmare. I did not accomplish the task of getting back; halfway through, Mingle decided to be nice and came to my rescue on the big and steady club board. We exchanged boards but the rescue craft came shortly after, so I hitched a ride back to the club, leaving my other rescuer to fend for himself. 

How long he took to come back, I can't remember if it's one or two hours. But I do remember his girlfriend, Janice, asking me from time to time, "Do you see him anywhere?" In fact, I think just about everyone else was curious about where he was. When he finally came back on the rescue craft after he's made very good progress from where we left him (gf couldn't take it anymore and asked the boat uncle to give him a lift back hee), everyone was pretty amused. Later on he told me that was his first time getting rescued in two or three years. 

Oh well, so much for the rescue gone wrong. chuckles.

So after the memorable first experience with a shortboard, I made my way down to Timbre to meet up with the KTOWY peeps. It was supposed to be a mini get-together session so that we could pre-celebrate Jueming's twenty first, and our target was to get him drunk, but we sort of missed the target and someone else got drunk instead (tsk tsk). Ha. Sorry okay, woman! :p

Realized I haven't been drinking in awhile, so all that Erdinger and Kamikaze shooters made me a happier person. It helped that the alcohol content in those drinks were quite low, I could have easily downed 20 more shots (okay I'm bragging, I still do not know my alcohol limit as of now).

So in between drinks, we played games like Fuzzy Wuzzy, fingers-on-the-rim, chilled out to the max with the bands playing, posed for pictures, made fun of each other and the black manager must've thought Jueming is gay or something. Oh, and the roasted-duck pizza that I've often heard people rave about? It was fantafucktiscally good, just that they might want to consider using smaller/thinner slices of duck meat.



jm with his flaming tower.

That pretty much marked the end of our little Timbre session.

Sunday afternoon, headed down to West Mall to meet up with the 102 project girls to get our group assignment done. I haven't been there much ever since the break-up with DJ three years back, and I was thinking of what would I do if I happen to meet him (plus his wife & parents) there. That didn't happen, thankfully, and I got myself a yummy slice of carrot cake from Coffeebean before I started on any work.

Hurried down to Rob's (for another pre-21 celebration) two & a half hours later where I killed and washed crabs for the first time (someone's got to do the dirty job, and I don't mind this one), loaded film into Siaos' bubblegum-coloured Holga, got our BBQ fire started only by nine p.m., started the BBQ proper by 9.30 and voila, yummay food! 

Barbecued till around 12 plus a.m. until the fire died and we resorted to steaming the crabs, in beer! That was my crazy idea by the way, and I'm going to improvise on it after the exams've ended, hopefully! So, we sat through some batshit HK movie, hands and mouths moving through those crustaceans, until it was cake timeee! 

Siaos got Rob a really moussey cake from Sweet Secrets and we created quite a ruckus as we sang the birthday song. As usual, I am thankful for the company of the PSC! Love you all! & Siaos got us all presents from the states, love the ninini woman! Xie xie!

Got home at around 2 plus a.m. and I was more or less in a concussed state. It's been a handful this weekend!


pretty colours

Cleaned up my room last night, I took 5 whole hours to wipe away the thick layer of dust found on everything that the rag came across, cleared out my closet and yes, now it's fit for studying. I love my room. It's become sort of like a ritual for me to be cleaning my room everytime I have an exam, what batshit seriously.

ps. I do realize it's been an extremely long entry. Time for some makan before revision.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...