Thursday, March 12, 2009

HTHT


yf & mum lending me their support on a windsurf training session

The three of us have heart-to-heart talks once in awhile. We never really excluded Dad on purpose in such conversations, it just happens (he was asleep in tonight's case). Besides, I think he would probably be too engrossed in starting a debate to notice what we're saying. Ha. That's my Dad for you. 

I don't know how but tonight's topic was about some younger cousins (secondary school) getting attached and stuff. Mumsy, showed her displeasure about kids in school uniforms holding hands, how it's going to affect their grades etc in a joking sort of manner. Then in a very lighthearted way, I decided to tell her about my very first boyfriend (Barney, if you guys remember) back in the CCHSM days (she was totally clueless about it back then); you should have seen the expression on her face change and how she started grilling me with questions about him. 

I thought it was quite funny; sort of the typical response that you'd expect from her. And thank god we're able to make a joke out of it now without making things come across as awkward. Phew. Times've changed, and I'm so glad for the changes; I'm definitely trying to be more honest with my parents. It feels good, a lot better than when I had to do things behind their backs (like, telling them I got my diving license only after a year I've gotten it).

My parents can get rather naggy at times, Dad especially. However, despite all their worries and concerns, they let me go ahead with what I want to do most of the time. This, is something that I can't be more thankful for. And over the years, I guess I've come to deal with their opinions, which can sometimes be rather bleak. I got really affected at one point in time (when Dad would be telling me about all the dangers of going out to sea, no satellite phones on rickety boats, yadah yadah); and I had thoughts like "why won't they be a little more supportive like my friends' parents" etc & probably shed a tear or two, but but but, right now, I'm glad to be so over that stage! 

Okay, go ahead and rattle on me, but once you finish the yakking, I hope you understand that I'm still going ahead with it because you can't stop me from doing something I enjoy. 

Thank you Dad & Mums!

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...