Monday, May 11, 2009

My Hokkien's much better than my Canto

I realized this through conversing with my maternal granny today. She's here to visit from Penang since last Friday but I only got to talk to her today. I could hold a pretty decent conversation with her in Hokkien that's got a Penang twinge to it and I'm pretty damned proud of myself. I mean, as compared to the almost non-existant Cantonese I speak; I gave up trying to speak to my paternal granny because I didn't know how to say 8 out of 10 words in every sentence.

We chatted a fair bit; she was watching Animal Planet and telling me she likes to watch documentaries featuring animals whereas I was sweeping the floor, having managed to snatch the broom from her. She's supposed to be on holiday but she cannot stop going around the house to do chores la.

My granny asked if I have a boyfriend, to which I replied no time for relationships now in my poorly spoken Hokkien. And then we talked about the kind of guys that I should look for in future to settle down with, I told her I like capable guys; someone who works hard for the family, someone like my Dad, and she said Dad's a good guy. And then we talked about some of the cousins; how an Eurasian guy's going after my younger cousin in Penang, showering her with gifts but she's attached to her boyfriend of 4 years at the moment, and how she's going to England for a year of study (lucky her!) whereas her boyfriend will be staying in KL, etc etc.

I like talking to my Granny. I think she understands what I'm saying; she laughs when I say something funny and that's what I like about our conversations. We were never close, I guess the distance apart plays a big factor, but we're all family. She's heading back to Penang tomorrow evening, & I'll probably miss chatting with her till the next time we meet again.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...