Thursday, March 25, 2010

Theory of Compensation


I came across something interesting while reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter on the train yesterday. The theory of compensation: For everything given, something else is immediately and visibly lost. 'Yes, you may be smart you sure are ugly; You may look nice but you didn't get a brain'. This is how balance is achieved in the universe.

Not everyone will agree with what I've just shared, but I don't suppose it's uncommon for us to think that way to make ourselves feel better. Not uncommon when we start to make comparisons at least, right? Maybe... I'm the only one who does that all these while.

But now, I'm starting to question if this theory really does work. Apart from the temporal gush of satisfaction I get from putting people down, there doesn't seem to be anything else that I can get out of it in the long run. Over-valuing my self-worth by thinking that pretty/good-looking people are brainless will only result in me realizing that while both of us use our brains as much, I still look like shit and the good-lookers are still good-looking. Blah. It's bitterness, and not satisfaction that I get at the end of the day.

There is never going to be balance in our universe, so it's important to be happy and live with however little/much we have. If you're not, then do something about it and quite whining. If you're unhappy with your looks, dress up, go for plastic surgery. If you think you're stupid, read up, enhance your knowledge. Everything that you have is a result of your doing (i.e. you decide your own winning formula), and not because someone/something dictates who should be rich, pretty, poor or ugly.

No comments:

It was during one of those conversations where we were disagreeing again with each other's views that I got a clearer understanding of ...